Saturday, March 13, 2010

Adventures in Solitude

              I, at the end of high school, did the logical thing for someone in my situation.  I took the year off to work.  Enabling myself (or so I thought) to gain some perspective, money and hopefully find my future career.  

I worked at Wal-Mart.  

To sum up my experience, I gained little perspective, next to no money and was more confused than ever about my future.  All I knew was that I did not want to stay in Wal-Mart.  So I didn`t.  I decided it was time to apply to college, even if I wasn`t positive about my decision.  I chose three programs, Baking, Business Operations Management and Sign Language.  

My reasoning was;
  • baking, I`m good at, I`m creative and I liked it in high school
  • business operations management, endless opportunities, be my own boss
  • sign language, something that interested me
Solid reasons, I know.

Anyways, I ended up being accepted and going to Centennial College for Business Operations Management.  After first  year, I knew I had made a mistake on this 9 semester course.  First of all, my reasons "endless opportunities and be my own boss" were not accurate.  Along with that, I realized that I hate desk jobs.  So I cut my losses in third semester and left Ontario, moving to Nova Scotia and starting fresh.

Now I live with my Mom.  I am working casually as a cook at a nursing home and hospital (which pays surprisingly well) am working on my licence and getting a car. (as those are two things I did not require living downtown Toronto)

I applied, and was accepted to NSCC for Boulanger and Baking Arts and am currently enrolled to start in September, but am at a crossroads within myself.  You see, I know I like to bake, but I`m not sure if I could do it as a career and be happy.  The other career option on my mind is to become a mechanic, but I have the same concerns.

So, yesterday I went to the library and got some books.  I am currently reading a textbook called Auto Body Repair and Refinishing by Robert P. Schmidt




So far I have learned personal, and general shop safety.  And all the types of hand tools I would be using.

-2 Chapters down, 35 to go!-

No comments:

Post a Comment